Sunday, July 17, 2011

I Jesu navn


går vi til bord,


at spise, drikke hans ord,


dig Gud til ære, os til gavn,


får vi mad


i Jesu navn.


Years before this present day my mother had a Carl Larsson-esque idea of a hand painted border around our kitchen. In the true nature of Norwegian decor, our house contains striking primary colors along with rustic dusty barn wood and the remnants of peeling wallpaper.



The border was to happily not be in English but rather the language of the vikings. The following was inspired by a decorative platter that has been in our family ever since my Grandma bought it at Stabo ten years ago. Yellow acrylic paint from Meijer. Bliss.




"In Jesus' name" is what meets your eyes when you first enter and leave the kitchen.


This has to be one of my favorite projects. While I was standing on the counters and trying not to drip paint on the stovetop I liked to think I was Suzanne in the Larsson painting above. I only wish my hair was that long.




In Jesus' name


To the table we go


To eat and drink upon His Word.




To Him the glory, us the gain,


We'll then have food


In Jesus' name.

No comments:

Post a Comment